I’m not a gamer in the sense that I don’t play video games that often or am an expert in any way. Overall though, I do play the occasional racing game and I’m a huge fan of games such as Tomb Raider where you need to figure out how to get an artifact or the little movies in between levels.
I’m also a huge fan of superhero based video games.
Well…not really. That’s a bit of generalization on my part since there’s only been one superhero who’s video game I’m obsessed with.
I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum when it came out (the collectors edition came with a cool bat shaped box and a “journal” of the Arkham patients as well as a batarang stand)…
…and I also bought Batman: Arkham City.
Those games were so much fun and it was the first time that I went out of my way to buy video games. It was the first time I played a superhero based video game. I’ve played:
- Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 (they were awesome. I had time in between missions to randomly attack bystanders. I’m a bit violent *shrugs*)
- Iron Man (or was it the second movie?). I was only for 5 minutes before getting bored
- Superman Returns video game. Again, it was only for 5 minutes
- Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. I enjoyed playing against my brothers. I was really good with Batman but sucked with everyone else. I didn’t test out the single player
- X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse. When I say that my siblings and I were obsessed, I mean OBSESSED. I remember renting this out for our GameCube and spent all of March break camped out in the living room. We basically slept in front of it and had to leave it paused because we didn’t have a memory chip. I think we finished it.
- DC Universe Online. It’s an online game that you can play on your PC. There’s a free and paid version of the game. I haven’t played it a while but you get to create you’re own hero which is always fun.
I think that’s all of the superhero based games I’ve played. Now that we’re done talking about the past, let’s talk about a game I’m excited to play now. Injustice: Gods Among Us just came out and it looks so good.
Here’s a little blurb:
What if our greatest heroes became our greatest threat?
Injustice: Gods Among Us introduces a bold new franchise to the fighting game genre from NetherRealm Studios, creators of the definitive fighting game Mortal Kombat. Featuring DC Comics icons such Batman, Cyborg, The Flash, Harley Quinn, Nightwing, Solomon Grundy, Superman and Wonder Woman, the latest title from the award-winning studio presents a deep original story. Heroes and villains will engage in epic battles on a massive scale in a world where the line between good and evil has been blurred.
Come on! Doesn’t that sound awesome? I’m excited to get my hands on this game.
What superhero games have you played? What did you like or didn’t like? Any games you’re excited to play?
A. A. Omer